- 13th Annual MGS Auction will be held at the September 20, 2015, meeting. Bring in fossils, minerals, artifacts, and
meteorites for the auction which raises money for the club and for you. More information is available on the
- Warning: There is presently no parking at the Bowie Community Center during construction at the shopping center. Parks and Planning advises that
we can park on Sadler, Sussex, and Shawmont Lanes which intersect Stonybrook Drive across from the Community Center. Reportedly, parking
restrictions on these streets will not be enforced during the construction.
- MGS Junior Members are now participating in the Future Rockhounds of America, a program of the American Federation of
Mineralogical Societies. Pictures of their activities at the July meeting appear below and on
the Future Rockhounds of America page of the MGS website.
A Bit Of What Went On At The July Meeting
- Members of the MGS Fossil-tastic Finders received their Future Rockhounds of America patches at the July Meeting.
Pictured below are Adrian, David, and Brooke receiving their patches from Rick Smith.
- Dr. Eric Seifter received some help with a woolly mammoth tusk during his Show & Tell presentation on his
collection of elephantine material, ancient and modern.
- Bob Farrar talked about the massive specimen of Cleavelandite he found in Maine. Pictured below are the MGS FRA members studying the
More pictures of Eric's material and Bob's boulder can be seen in the MGS gallery page along with pictures of some amazing Mako shark teeth
displayed at the meeting by Steve Grossman.
Sunday, September 20, 2015.
General Meeting and Annual Auction
Information on how to participate in this fund raising activity is available on the
Meeting runs from
11 am to 3 pm at the Bowie
Community Center, 3209 Stonybrook Drive,
Bowie, Maryland 20715
Directions to the Center can be found
under the Meetings & Trips tab above
or at this link
Note: Due to construction, there is no parking at the Community Center. We can park on
Sadler, Sussex, and Shawmont Lanes across from the Center.
Mineral of the Meeting: Sphalerite
Sphalerite crystal from Tri-State District, Jasper County, Missouri. Image by Rob Lavinsky and reproduced under Creative
Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Image is available from
- No trips currently scheduled.
Other Clubs' Shows & Events
- August 24-30: Fall session of the EFMLS Wildacres workshops on gem and mineral crafts. More information available on the
EFMLS website. Wildacres is a retreat venue in North Carolina.
- September 26-27: 51st Annual Gem, Mineral & Jewelry Show of the Gem Cutters Guild of Baltimore. Show
held at Howard Co. Fairgrounds, West Friendship, MD. More information at the Gem Cutters
∼Explore Our Website∼
The tabs at the top of the page take you to a host of interesting and informative pages:
- About MGS provides the club history, how to join, and contacts.
- Meetings & Trips has dates and locations of upcoming meetings and future trips.
- Newsletter is your gateway to information on our award-winning newsletter.
- Gallery features pictures of members' fossil and mineral treasures.
- Links & Articles links you to fossil and mineral resources, news stories, and Frequently Asked Questions
about hunting Maryland fossils and minerals.
- Club Pride describes MGS material, such as T-shirts, for sale at our meetings.