WebSightings from 2017
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to just some
of these articles and news reports from 2017 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2016 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email . Thanks.
________________________ 2017 ______________________
Year-Old Sea Turtle Hatchling Reveals Ancient Sun Protection, Science News, October 17, 2017.
- Tyrannosaurus Rex: Facts About T. Rex,
King of the Dinosaurs, Joseph Castro, Live Science, October 16, 2017.
- Fanged Kangaroo Research Could
Shed Light on Extinction, Science Daily, October 16, 2017.
- Dinosaur Blood? New Research
Urges Caution Regarding Fossilised Soft Tissue, Phys.Org, October 10, 2017.
- Mass Extinctions Led to Low Species
Diversity, Dinosaur Rule, Science Daily, October 10, 2017.
- 'Fake Fin' Discovery
Reveals New Ichthyosaur Species, University of Manchester News, October 10, 2017.
- Beginning of the Age of
Giants, Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, October 4, 2017.
- Newborn Ichthyosaur Reveals
its Last Meal, Sci News, October 4, 2017.
- Earth's Oldest Rocks are
Revealing Life's Origins, Fueling Controversy, Eric Betz, Discover Magazine, September 27, 2017.
- Plate Tectonics May Have Begun a Billion
Years after Earth's Birth, Stephanie Pappas, Live Science, September 21, 2017.
Trilobites Had Stomachs, New Fossil Study Shows, American Museum of Natural History Research Post, September 21, 2017.
- Big Herbivorous Dinosaurs Ate Crustaceans as a Side Dish,
Science Daily, September 21, 2017.
After Death: Largest Discovered Ichthyosaurus Preserves a Fossilised Embryo, Jon Tennant, PLOS Paleo Community blog, September 18, 2017.
- Breaking: 5.7 Million-Year-Old "Hominin Footprints" in Jeopardy, Gemma Tarlach, Discovery Dead Things blog, September 15,
2017. For one account of the original discovery of these footprints, see 5.7-Million-
Year-Old Human Footprints Found in Crete, Greece, Greek Reporter, September 2, 2017.
- Celebrity Fossil Reveals All for Science,
Phys.Org, September 15, 2017.
the Glue Neanderthals Used to Make Weapons, Jessyln Shields, How Stuff Works - Science, September 14, 2017.
- Ancient Amphibian Had Mouthful of
Teeth, Elaine Smith, Phys.Org, September 14, 2017.
- 'I Don't
Care What They Say About Me': Paleontologist Stares Down Critics in Her Hunt for Dinosaur Proteins, Robert F. Service, Science,
September 13, 2017.
- When Ancient Fossil DNA Isn't Available,
Ancient Glycans May Help Trace Human Evolution, Science Daily, September 11, 2017.
Billion Year Old Worm Fossils Shed New Light on Animal Evolution, University of Manchester News, September 11, 2017.
- Scientists Track the
Brain-Skull Transition from Dinosaurs to Birds, Jim Shelton, Yale News, September 11, 2017.
- Why are Fossilized Hairs So
Rare?, Science Daily, September 7, 2017.
- Scientists Finds Fossilised
Cosmic Dust in White Cliffs of Dover, Phys.Org, September 7, 2017.
Made These Footprints 5.7 Million Years Ago?, Gemma Tarlach, Discover Magazine: Dead Things, September 1, 2017.
- Plesiosaur Fossil Found
33 Years Ago Yields New Convergent Evolution Findings, Phys.Org, September 1, 2017.
- Archaic Whales Were
Ferocious Predators, New Research Shows, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, August 31, 2017.
- The Field Museum
Shuffles its Dinosaurs, written by Ben in a post on his Extinct Monsters blog, August 30, 2017.
- Volcanic Eruptions Drove Ancient Global
Warming Event, Science Daily, August 30, 2017.
- Dig that Discovery!
Triceratops Fossil Unearthed in Colorado (Update), Phys.Org, August 30, 2017.
- Did Tiny Algae Fell
Mighty Dinosaurs?, Caroyln Gramling, Science, August 29, 2017.
Paleontologists Turn to Crowdfunding for Raptor Project, Asher Elbein, The New York Times, August 28, 2017.
- New Ancient Sea Reptile
Found in Germany - The Earliest of its Kind, Phys.Org, August 28, 2017.
Discover New Species of Sauropod Dinosaur in Tanzania, Phys.Org, August 25, 2017.
- Dolphin That Existed Along South
Carolina Coast Long Ago, Science Daily, August 23, 2017.
Chicxulub Asteriod Inhibited Photosynthesis, Cooled Earth for Up to Four Years, Sci News, August 23, 2017.
- Indestructible Jaws from Ancient, Extinct Porcupine Fish
Reveal New Species, Smithsonian Insider, August 17, 2017.
- Seven Complete Specimens of
New Flower, All 100 Million Years Old, Science Daily, August 15, 2017.
- Meadow of Dancing Brittle Stars Shows
Evolution at Work, Phys.Org, August 14, 2017.
- New Prehistoric
Crocodile Identified: Lemmysuchus obtusidens, Sci News, August 12, 2017.
- New Insights into the
Survival Techniques of a Prehistoric Beast, Julien Benoit, Phys.Org, August 10, 2017.
- When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth,
Mammals Took to the Skies, Carl Zimmer, The New York Times, August 9, 2017.
Patagotitan, the Biggest Dinosaur Ever Found, Ed Yong, The Atlantic, August 8, 2017.
Armoured Dinosaur Had Ginger Camouflage to Deter Predators, Nicola Davis, The Guardian Science, August 3, 2017.
- Exploring the Valley of the
Mastodon, Jeanne Timmons, PLOS Paleo Community Blog, July 30, 2017.
- Did Life Begin on Land Rather Than in
the Sea?, Science Daily, July 18, 2017. A somewhat misleading title about this fascinating research.
- Tyrannosaurus rex Couldn't Run, Says
New Research, Phys.Org, July 18, 2017.
- Ancient Plankton-Like Microfossils
Span Two Continents, Science Daily, July 13, 2017.
- Ancient Animal Thought To Be First Air
Breather on Land Loses Claim to Fame, Science Daily, July 5, 2017.
- Gigantic Crocodile With T. rex Teeth
Was a Top Land Predator of the Jurassic in Madagascar, Phys.Org, July 4, 2017.
- Rare Dinosaur Remains Discovered
Under Surrey Brick Factory, Nicola Davis, The Guardian, July 4, 2017.
- Extinction That Killed
the Dinosaurs May Have Led to Frog Explosion, Carolyn Gramling, Science, July 3, 2017.
- Ancient South Carolina Whale Yields Secrets
to Filter-Feeding's Orgins, Science Daily, June 29, 2017.
- Long Live the Fuzzy T. rex, Brian
Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, June 28, 2017.
- A Tour of Dinosaur Park, Ben, Extinct Monsters blog,
June 18, 2017.
- New Fossil Fills
in Missing Moment in Baleen Whale History, Brian Switek, Laelaps, Scientific American blog, June 14, 2017.
Skulls Could Rewrite the Human Origin Story, Erin Brodwin, AOL News, June 8, 2017.
- Victorians Missed Key Dental Detail in
1st Dinosaur Ever Named, Laura Geggel, Live Science, June 8, 2017.
- World's Oldest Fossil Mushroom Found, Science
Daily, June 7, 2017.
- T. rex Was Not Feathery, Study Says, Phys.Org, June 7, 2017.
Homo sapiens Bones Ever Found Shake Foundations of the Human Story, Ian Sample, The Guardian, June 7, 2017.
- Moroccan Fossils Show Human Ancestors' Diet of Game,
Science Daily, June 7, 2017.
- How Hot Were the Oceans
When Life First Evolved?, Charles Q. Choi, Live Science, June 3, 2017.
- Ancient Sloth and Bison
Fossils Turn Up in LA Metro Dig, Mindy Weisberger, Live Science, June 3, 2017.
- Collagen From a Tyrannosaurus rex
Bone Proves Jurassic Park Will Never Exist, Phys.Org, June 1, 2017.
- Paleontologists Identify
New Pliosaur Species: Luskhan itilensis, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, May 25, 2017.
3.3 Million-Year-Old Fossil Sheds Light On How the Spine Evolved, Merrit Kennedy, The Two-Way news from NPR, May 23, 2017.
- Why Whales Grew to Such Monster
Sizes, Elizabeth Pennisi, Science, May 23, 2017.
- Rare Tooth Reveals Horned Dinosaurs in
Eastern North America, Phys.Org, May 23, 2017.
- Life in the Precambrian May Have Been Much
Livelier than Previously Though, David Salisbury, Phys.Org, May 19, 2017.
- Secrets Behind T. rex's Bone Crushing Bites:
T. rex Could Crush with 8,000 Pound Forces, Science Daily, May 17, 2017.
- Time Flies: Insect Fossils in
Amber Shed Light on India's Geological History, Phys.Org, May 17, 2017.
Dolphins, and Seals all Follow the Same Evolutionary Patterns, Jon Tennant, PLOS Paleo Community blog, May 16, 2017.
Museum Unveils World's Best-Preserved Armoured Dinosaur, Ashifa Kassam, The Guardian Dinosaurs, May 15, 2017.
Humanlike Species Lived More Recently Than Expected, Merrit Kennedy, NPR, May 9, 2017.
Zuul, Destroyer of Shins - The 75m-Year-Old 'Ghostbuster' Dinosaur, Hannah Devlin, The Guardian, May 9, 2017.
- Oldest Evidence of Life on Land Found
in 3.48 Billion-Year-Old Australian Rocks, Science Daily, May 9, 2017.
- First Baby of a
Gigantic Oviraptor-Like Dinosaur Belongs to a New Species, Phys.Org, May 9, 2017.
- The Crazy Eruptions that Spit Up Diamonds,
Erik Klemetti, Wired, May 5, 2017.
Fossil Mammal Was the First 'King' of Scotland, Elsa Panciroli, Lost Worlds Revisited blog, The Guardian, May 4, 2017.
- New Species of
Troodontid with Assymetric Feathers Found in China, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, May 3, 2017.
- New Species of Dinosaur Increases the
Already Unexpected Diversity of 'Whiplash Dinosaurs', Science Daily, May 2, 2017.
- Headless Dinosaur Reunited With Its
Skull, One Century Later, Katie Willis, Phys.Org, April 26, 2017.
U of T Paleontologists Identify 508-Million-Year-Old Sea Creature With Can Opener-Like Pincers, Sean Bettam, U of T News, April 26, 2017.
- Origins of Indonesian Hobbits
Finally Revealed, Science Daily, April 21, 2017.
Threaten What May Be the World's Oldest Fossils, Kathleen McLaughlin, Science, April 20, 2017.
- The Giant Sloth Megatherium Was
a Vegetarian, Geology Page, April 18, 2017.
- The Dangers of Being a Saber-Toothed Cat in
Los Angeles 12,000 Years Ago, Science Daily, April 17, 2017.
- Radioactive Minerals, Geology Page,
April 15, 2017.
- Hunter's Find Leads to Discovery
of Prehistoric Sea Creature, Matt Volz, Phys.Org, April 13, 2017.
- Moabosaurus Discovered in Utah's 'Gold Mine',
Science Daily, April 13, 2017.
- The Tallest
Men in the World Trace Back to Paleolithic Mammoth Hunters, Jen Viegas, Seeker, April 11, 2017.
Energize Great Whale Mystery: How & When Baleen Evolved, John Barrat, Smithsonian Insider, April 7, 2017.
- Blood-Engorged Tick Found
in Dominican Amber, Sci News, April 4, 2017.
- Blood Thirsty
Chomp-Monster or Sensitive Lover? Time to Rethink Tyrannosaurus rex, Brian Switek, The Guardian, April 3, 2017.
or Female? Canadian Museum of Nature Scientist Challenges Evidence of Sex Differences Among Dinosaurs, Museum News,
Canadian Museum of Nature, March 29, 2017.
- Ice Age
Megafauna Were Ecosystem Engineers, Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, March 29, 2017.
- Life Bounced Back
Fast After Dino-Killing Impact, Nola Taylor Redd, Scientific American, March 29, 2017.
Park Service Investigating Theft of Fossil Footprints from Death Valley, Henry Brean, Las Vegas Review-Journal, March 28, 2017.
- 'Unparalleled' Number of
Dinosaur Tracks Found in Australia, Phys.Org, March 27, 2017.
- Scientists Make New Discovery About
Bird Evolution, Science Daily, March 24, 2017.
- Ancient Fossil Reveals the Evolution of
Bird Legs for the First Time, Phys.Org, March 23, 2017.
- Paleontologists Redraw Dinosaur Family Tree,
Sci News, March 22, 2017.
- From "T. Rex" to
"Pantydraco": How Dinosaurs Get Their Names, Brian Switek, Smithsonian.Com, March 20, 2017.
- Types of Rocks, Geology Page,
March 20, 2017.
- New Study Confirms Sharks Arose from
Acanthodian Fishes, Sci News, March 16, 2017.
- Scientists Play 'Geological Genealogy',
Jonathan Amos, BBC News, March 16, 2017.
- When Calif. Builders Dig, Paleontologists Are There to Bag the Fossils - Even Whales, David Brown, Washington Post,
March 11, 2017.
(Now Older) Age of Fishes: New Bony Fish from the Silurian of China, Sarah Gibson, PLOS Paleo Community blog, March 8, 2017.
- New Insight into Secret Lives of Neanderthals,
Helen Briggs, BBC News, March 8, 2017.
- Two Ichthyosaur
Species Found to Be the Same, Sci News, March 8, 2017.
- Vision, Not
Limbs, Led Fish Onto Land 385 Million Years Ago, Megan Fellman, Northwestern Now, March 7, 2017.
- Dear Science: How Do We Know How Old the Earth Is?, Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, March 6, 2017.
- Cold Extermination: One of the Greatest Mass
Extinctions Was Due to an Ice Age and Not to Earth's Warming, Science Daily, March 6, 2017.
- A 180 Million Year Old
Dinosaur Dinner, Jon Tennant, PLOS Paleo Community blog, March 5, 2017.
- Evolution of Bipedalism in Ancient
Dinosaur Ancestors, Science Daily, March 3, 2017.
- Tooth Be Told:
Millions of Years of Evolutionary History Mark Those Molars, Debbie Guatelli-Steinberg, The Conversation, March 2, 2017.
- Beetle and Pollen Trapped in 105 Million-Year-Old Amber Reveal Fourth Major Pollination Mode in Mid-Mesozoic, John Barrat,
Smithsonian Insider, March 2, 2017.
Fossil Ever Found on Earth Shows Organisms Thrived 4.2bn Years Ago - And Provides Strongest Evidence Yet for Similar Life on Mars, Sarah
Knapton, The Telegraph newspaper, March 2, 2017.
Triceratops is a Smithsonian Icon. Now He'll be Fed to a T. rex, Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, March 1, 2017.
- 'Best Ever' View of What a Dinosaur Really Looked Like,
Helen Briggs, BBC News, March 1, 2017.Giant Prehistoric Penguins
Evolved During the Dinosaur Age, Charles Q. Choi, Live Science, February 28, 2017.
- Newfound Primate Teeth Take a Big Bite Out
of the Evolutionary Tree of Life, Science Daily, February 28, 2017.
- "More Complex Than Previously Thought",
Andrew Farke, PLOS Paleo Community, February 27, 2017.
- Zigzagging Backbones
Helped Turn Dinosaurs Into Giants, Lucas Joel, Science, February 27, 2017.
Extinct Species Back From The Dead Could Hurt - Not Help - Conservation Efforts, David Shultz, Science, February 27, 2017.
- Diamond's 2-Billion-Year Growth Charts Tectonic Shift
in Earth's Early Carbon Cycle, Science Daily, February 23, 2017.
- Cannibal Corpse Worm: 3-Foot-Long
Creature Had Monster Jaws, Stephanie Pappas, Live Science, February 22, 2017.
- 'Tully Monster' Mystery Is Far From Solved,
Group Argues, Phys.Org, February 20, 2017.
of How the Turtle's Neck Evolved May Be Solved by 150m-year-old Fossil, Nicola Davis, The Guardian Science, February 16, 2017.
- New Fossil Discovery Suggests
Sea Life Bounced Back After the 'Great Dying' Faster Than Thought, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, February 16, 2017.
- Pre-Mammalian Reptiles Were First
Terrestrial Vertebrates to Produce Venom, Paleontologists Say, SciNews, February 16, 2017.
Are Close to Bringing the Wooly Mammoth Back, AOL News, February 16, 2017.
Embryos Reveal Remarkable Secrets of Life - and Extinction, Dave Hone, Lost Worlds Revisited blog, The Guardian, February 15, 2017.
- Paleontology of
Bears Ears National Monument, Utah, Robert Gay, PLOS Paleontology Community blog, February 14, 2017.
This Ancient Reptile Gave Birth to Live Young Instead of Laying Eggs, Eva Botkin-Kowacki, The Christian Science Monitor, February 14, 2017.
- Spriggina Chosen as South Australia's Fossil Emblem, Jade Gailberger, The Courier Mail, February 14, 2017.
Falls Leave Fossils on the Beach Below, Sara Hudston, The Guardian, February 11, 2017.
- Fossil Treasure Trove
Reveals Post-Extinction World Ruled by Sponges, Phys.Org, February 10, 2017.
Origin of Gill Evolution Suggests 'Active Lifestyle' Link in Early Vertebrates, Fred Lewsey, University of Cambridge News,
February 9, 2017.
- Climate Change Responsible
for Rapid Expansion of Horse Species Over Last 20 Million Years, Phys.Org, February 9, 2017.
- Giant Winged Transylvanian Predators Could Have Eaten Dinosaurs, Elsa Panciroli, Lost Worlds Revisited blog,
The Guardian, February 8, 2017.
- Extending the
History of Crocs in California, Andrew Farke, PLOS Blog Network, February 8, 2017.
- Dinosaurs: Juvenile, Adult, Senior?,
Science Daily, February 7, 2017.
- Spiny, Armored Slug Reveals
Ancestry of Molluscs, Phys.Org, February 6, 2017.
- Rare Martian Meteorite
Provides Clues to Red Planet's Evolution, Sci News, February 2, 2017.
- New Species of Dicynodont
From the Karoo Basin of South Africa, Jon Tennant, Phys.Org, February 1, 2017.
- 'Lost Continent' Found Under
Mauritius, Geology Page, January 31, 2017.
- Dino Rib Yields Evidence of Oldest
Soft Tissue Remains, Phys.Org, January 31, 2017.
Find Earth Sends Oxygen to the Moon Every Month, AOL News, January 31, 2017.
Second Fossil Found at Burgess Shale Helped Identify New Wormlike Species, Michele Jarvie, Calgary Sun, January 30, 2017.
- Bag-Like Sea Creature Was
Human's Oldest Known Ancestor, Phys.Org, January 30, 2017.
- Chance Discovery of New Fossil From Half Billion Years Ago Sheds Light on Life on Earth, Press Office, University of
Leicester, January 30, 2017.
Preserved Jurassic Sea Life Found in New Fossil Site, UT News, University of Texas, January 25, 2017. A research article on
this site appeared in Geology and can be downloaded here.
Fossil Find - The Oldest, Most Complete Iguanian in the Americas, Geology Page, January 25, 2017.
- Trilobite Eggs Found Paired With Adult
for the First Time, Phys.Org, January 25, 2017.
- A 466-Million-Year-Old Space Collision is Still Raining Shrapnel on Earth, Sarah Kaplan,
Washington Post, January 23, 2017.
- 80-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Collagen Confirmed,
Tracey Peake, NC State News, January 23, 2017.
- Wolf-Size Extinct Otter Discovered:
6.24 Million Years Old, Science Daily, January 23, 2017.
- It's a Girl!
Special T. rex Was an Expectant Mother, Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, January 21, 2017.
- Humans, Not Climate Change, Wiped
Out Australian Megafauna, Phys.Org, January 20, 2017.
- Shark Study Reveals Taste Buds Were Key
to Evolution of Teeth, Gareth J. Fraser, Phys.Org, January 18, 2017.
Adds Rock Collecting to List of Things Neanderthals Could Do, UK News, University of Kansas, January 17, 2017.
- Colossal Diamond's Eerie Glow Earns
It a Fiery Name, Michelle Z. Donahue, Smithsonian Insider, January 17, 2017.
- Conditions Right for Complex Life May Have
Come and Gone in Earth's Distant Past, Science Daily, January 17, 2017.
- How the Darkness and the Cold
Killed the Dinosaurs, Science Daily, January 13, 2017.
- Giant Ancient Sharks May Have
Gone Extinct Due to Extinction of Its Small Prey, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, January 13, 2017.
- 2016 in Review: Advances
in Marine Mammal Paleontology, Robert Boessenecker, The Coastal Paleontologist, Atlantic Edition blog, January 12, 2017.
- Palaeontologists Reveal 350m-Year-Old Tropical Scotland Bursting With Life, Elsa Panciroli, The Guardian, January 11, 2017.
- Mysterious Fossils Find Place on Tree
of Life, Helen Briggs, BBC News, January 11, 2017.
- The Best Way to Include Fossils in the 'Tree of Life',
Phys.Org, January 10, 2017.
- Digestive and Appendicular Soft-Parts, with Behavioural
Implications, in a Large Ordovician Trilobite From the Fezouata Lagerstatte, Morocco, Juan C. Gutierrez-Marco, et al., Nature
January 10, 2017.
- The Tiniest Bonehead: A Trio of
Bones Outline the Spiky Skull of a Rare Baby Dinosaur, Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, January 11, 2017.
- How to Flat-Pack a Dinosaur, Ben Gerrod,
Phys.Org, January 10, 2017.
- The Moon May Be Formed
From Many Tiny Moons, Marina Koren, The Atlantic, January 9, 2017.
- World's Largest Meteorite,
Geology Page, January 8, 2017.
- South American Fossil
Tomatillos Show Nightshades Evolved Earlier Than Thought, Phys.Org, January 5, 2017.
oosthuizeni: Permian Fossil Reveals Origins of Chimaeras, Sci News, January 4, 2017.
- Some Dinosaur Eggs Took Six Months or
More to Hatch, James Gorman, New York Times, January 2, 2017.
Long Did It Take to Hatch A Dinosaur Egg? FSU Research Says 3-6 Months, Kathleen Haughney, Florida State University News,
January 2, 2017.
- Terrestrial Mesozoic Ninja Turtles, Jon
Tennant, PLOS Blogs Network, January 2, 2017.