WebSightings from 2018
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to just some
of these articles and news reports from 2018 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2017 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email . Thanks.
________________________ 2018 ______________________
- Bam! Meteorite Bombardment
Created Earth's Oldest Rocks, Deborah Byrd, Earth Sky, August 15, 2018.
- Utah Pterosaur Was Desert-Dwelling
Badass . . . . Pelican?, Gemma Tarlach, Discover, August 13, 2018.
Half-Billion-Year-Old Creatures Were Animals - But Unlike Any Known Today, Colin Barras, Science, August 8, 2018.
- The Nastiest Feud
in Science: A Princeton geologist has endured decades of ridicule for arguing that the fifth extinction was caused not by an
asteroid but by a series of colossal volcanic eruptions. But she's reopened that debate, Bianca Bosker, The Atlantic, September, 2018 issue.
Fossil Hunter Finds Rare Set of Mega Shark Teeth, Belinda Tasker, Perth Now Sunday Times, August 8, 2018.
- Artistic Replicas
Bring Microscopic Fossils to Life, Inside The Royal Tyrrell Museum blog, Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology, August 6, 2018.
- The End-Cretaceous Extinction
Unleashed Modern Shark Diversity, Science Daily, August 2, 2018.
Diamonds Come From Ocean Floor That is Pushed Nearly to the Earth's Core, Scott K. Johnson, Ars Technica, August 1, 2018.
- New Dinosaur Found in the Wrong Place,
at the Wrong Time, Science Daily, August 1, 2018.
- Fossils at Obelisk
in Central Park, Kentuckiana Mike, Louisville Fossils blog, July 30, 2018.
- To Understand Fossils,
These Paleontologists Are Making Faux-ssils, Erika K. Carlson, Discover, July 25, 2018.
Lion Statue Containing Fossils at the Met, Kentuckiana Mike, Louisville Fossils blog, July 22, 2018.
- New Species of Armored
Dinosaur Hints at Ancient Migration, Eric Betz, Discover, July 19, 2018.
- Sneak Peak: David H. Koch Hall
of Fossils, Smithsonian Insider, July 17, 2018.
- Rare Skull of Elephant Ancestor
Unveiled in France, Phys.Org, July 12, 2018.
- World's Oldest Colors Shed Light on
Ancient Life, Charles Choi, Discover, July 11, 2018.
Fossils Complicate Long-Held Theories About Mammalian Body Size, Phys.Org, July 6, 2018.
- Our Human Ancestors Walked on Two Feet But
Their Children Still Had a Backup Plan, Science Daily, July 4, 2018.
- Scientists Just
Found the Cause of Earth's First Global Warming that Triggered Mass Extinctions, Michelle Star, Science Alert, July 3, 2018.
- Chasing Dinosaurs in
Myanmar's Conflict-Ridden North, Richard Sargent, Phys.Org, July 1, 2018.
- Paleontologists Discover
Two New Hoofed Mammals from Miocene Epoch, Enrico de Lazaro, Sci News, June 29. 2018.
- Late Pleistocene (Rancholabrean) Mammalian Assemblage
from Paw Paw Cove, Tilghman Island, Maryland, Ralph E. Eshelman, et al., Smithsonian Institution, June 26, 2018. Can be downloaded at
- Why Life on Earth First Got Big, Science Daily,
June 25, 2018.
- Scientists Discover
New Species of Ancient Marine Lizard, Katie Willis, Phys.Org, June 21, 2018.
T rex Couldn't Stick Out Its Tongue, Nicola Davis, The Guardian, June 20, 2018.
How to Find Fossils: Lessons from a Self-Taught Dinosaur Tracker, Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, June 16, 2018.
Interactive Tool Lets You Find Out Where Your House Would Have Been on Pangea, Robin Andrews, IFLScience, June 15, 2018.
- Earliest Rainforest Frogs Preserved
in Amber, Gemma Tarlach, Discover Magazine, June 14, 2018.
- For 100
Million Years, Amber Freezes a Tableau of Burmese Bugs' Life-and-Death Struggle, Brendan W. Lynch, University of Kansas News, June 13, 2018.
- 'Monstrous' New Russian
Saber-Tooth Fossils Clarify Early Evolution of Mammal Lineage, Phys.Org, June 8, 2018.
- First Tetrapods of Africa Lived Within the
Devonian Antarctic Circle, Science Daily, June 7, 2018.
- When a Dinosaur
Fossil is Gone It's Gone Forever, Dave Hone, Lost Worlds Revisited blog, The Guardian, June 6, 2018.
- Researchers Report the Earliest
Fossil Footprints, Phys.Org, June 6, 2018.
- Earth Could Have Supported Continental Crust,
Life Earlier Than Thought, Science Daily, June 5, 2018.
- How the Ice Age Shaped
New York, William J. Broad, New York Times, June 5, 2018.
- Sea Life
Recovered Surprisingly Rapidly at Impact Crater of Dino-Killing Asteroid, Sci News, June 5, 2018.
- Carnivorous-Dinosaur Auction Reflects Rise in
Private Fossil Sales, John Pickrell, Nature, June 1, 2018.
- Scientists Finally Find the 240-Million-Old 'Mother of All Lizards', Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, May 30, 2018.
- In Ancient Boulders, New Clues About
the Story of Human Migration to the Americas, Science Daily, May 30, 2018.
- A Collage of Cretaceous
Coprolites, Andrew Farke, PLOS Paleo Community Blog, May 23, 2018.
- Major Fossil Study Sheds Light
on Emergence of Early Animal Life 540 Million Years Ago, Phys.Org, May 21, 2018.
- Earliest 'Baleen Whales' Had Large
Teeth and Gums, Sci News, May 11, 2018.
- Jurassic Fossil Tail Provides Missing Link in Ancient Crocodile Family Tree, Brooks Hays, UPI Science News, May 11, 2018.
Are the Dinosaurs That Didn't Die, Victoria Jaggard, National Geographic Magazine, May, 2018.
- Scientists Find the First Bird Beak,
Right Under Their Noses, Phys.Org, May 2, 2018.
- Cracking Open the Formation of
Fossil Concretions, Science Daily, May 2, 2018.
- Volcanic Eruptions Led to Mass
Extinction 370 Million Years Ago, Sci News, May 2, 2018.
- A Yellowstone Guide to Life on Mars, Michael
Miller, UC Magazine, University of Cincinnati, April 25, 2018.
- Morphometric Assessment of Pterosaur Jaw Disparity
, Charlie A. Navarro, et al., Royal Society Open Science, April 25, 2018.
- Dinosaurs Didn't Die
from Cretaceous Cramps, Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, April 25, 2018.
- Scientists See Deeper
Yellowstone Magma, University of Utah News Center, April 23, 2018.
- Here's How We Know the Big Bang Happened, Paul Sutter,
Live Science, April 22, 2018.
- Unprecedented Wave of Large-Mammal
Extinctions Linked to Prehistoric Humans, Science Daily, April 19, 2018.
Old Man of the Sea: Ancient Alabaman Sea Turtle Ancestor, Beth Barker, PLOS Paleo Community, April 19, 2018.
- Visiting St. Francis's Lovely Limestone,
Callan Bentley, Mountain Beltway blog, April 18, 2018.
- Paleontology and
Private Fossil Collecting Can Be at Odds in the Hills of Wyoming, Brian Switek, Audobon Science, April 17, 2018.
- These Diamonds Come From Space, Formed Inside a Long-Lost Planet, Scientists Say, Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post,
April 17, 2018.
- Mass Extinction
Crisis Triggered Expansion of Dinosaurs, Phys.Org, April 16, 2018.
- The Paleontology of
Rocks, Clocks and Zombie Lineages, Elsa Panciroli, The Guardian Biology, April 11, 2018.
- Two Dinosaurs Fetch Over 1.4 Million
Euros Each in Paris Sale, Phys.Org, April 11, 2018.
- Giant Ichthyosaur is One of the Largest
Animals Ever, Science Daily, April 9, 2018.
Darwin's Lost Fossils - Including a Sloth the Size of a Car - to be Made Public, Maev Kennedy, The Guardian Science, April 6, 2018.
- A Paleontologist Who Teaches
Anatomy is Good for Science and Medicine, Kristian J. Carlson, Phys.Org, April 6, 2018.
- Still Believe an Asteroid
Killed the Dinosaurs? Think Again--New Theory Suggests, Phys.Org, April 4, 2018.
- Ancient Sea Worm Eats, Poops and
Leaves Behind Evidence of Cambrian Diversity, Brendan W. Lynch, Phys.Org, April 3, 2018.
- Huge Dinosaur Footprints
Discovered on Scottish Coast, Michael Greshko, National Geographic, April 2, 2018.
- 101 American
Fossil Sites You've Gotta See, by Albert B. Dickas, Callan Bentley, Mountain Beltway Blog, April 2, 2018.
Dinosaur Eggs Discovered by N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences Paleontologist, Jon Pishney, North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences News,
March 29, 2018.
- By Land or By Sea: The Debate
Over What Sort of Environment Molded Turtles into Shelled Wonders Continues, Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American,
March 28, 2018.
- Fossils Highlight Canada-Russia Connection
53 Million Years Ago, EurekAlert, March 28, 2018.
- Insects Flew Before Anything Else Did.
So How Did They Get Their Wings?, Asher Elbein, New York Times, March 27, 2018.
- Paleo Profile: The
Fish from China, Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, March 23, 2018.
Put the Bite on an Ancient Reptile from New England, Jim Shelton, Yale News, March 23, 2018.
Museum Altmuehltal Exhibits Real Dracula, Cision PR Newswire, March 22, 2018.
- Primeval Salt Shakes Up Ideas on How the Atmosphere Got its Oxygen, Nola Taylor Redd, Scientific
American, March 22, 2018.
- How Researchers Diagnosed a
200-Million-Year-Old Infected Predator Bite, Patrick Randolph-Quinney, Phys.Org, March 22, 2018.
Investigate the Macabre Science Behind How Animals Decay and Fossilize, Phys.Org, March 21, 2018.
- Sexual Signaling, Dino-Style,
Gemma Tarlach, Discover, March 20, 2018. Full text of the research study upon which this is based is available
- Fossilized Brains of Ancient
Sea Creatures Found in Northern Greenland, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, March 19, 2018.
- Are Palaeontologists
Naming Too Many Species?, News, University of Manchester, March 14, 2018.
- New 16-Million-Year-Old Insectivore Species
Discovered, Science Daily, March 14, 2018.
- Archaeopteryx: The Transitional Fossil, Joseph
Castro, Live Science, March 14, 2018.
- Half-Billion Year Old
Fossil Brains Found in Ancient Predator, Andrew Urevig, National Geographic, March 9, 2017.
- An Electro-Blob Under Africa May Be
'Ground Zero' for Earth's Magnetic Field Reversal, Stephanie Pappas, Live Science, March 7, 2018.
- Ancient Animal Could
Take Itself Apart to Escape Predators, Heather Brady, National Geographic, March 7, 2018.
- Did Plants Cause
One of Earth's Great Extinctions?, Ned Rozell, Anchorage Daily News, March 3, 2018.
- Fossilised Plant Leaf Wax Provides New Tool for
Understanding Ancient Climates, Science Daily, March 2, 2018.
Artist Resurrects Obscure Fossils in Gorgeous Living Color, Mark Carnall, The Guardian Science, February 28, 2018.
- Flipside of a Dinosaur Mystery:
'Bloat and Float' Explains Belly-Up Ankylosaur Fossils, Phys-Org, February 28, 2018.
- 5.5 Million-Year-Old Fossil Turtle
Species Sheds Light on Invasive Modern Relatives, EurekAlert!, February 26, 2018.
Land Plants Arose Earlier Than Thought - and May Have Had a Bigger Impact on the Evolution of Animals, Elizabeth Pennisi, Science Magazine,
February 19, 2018.
- How Has Our Knowledge of Dinosaur Diversity Through Geologic Time Changed
Through Research History, Jonathan Tennet, et al., PeerJ, February 19, 2018, full text of research article.
- Paleontologists Discover
Never-Before-Seen Ancient Fish Species, Science Tech Daily, February 17, 2018.
- A Mineral
Blueprint for Finding Burgess Shale-Type Fossils, Jim Shelton, Yale News, February 16, 2018.
- What a Fossil Revolution Reveals
About the History of 'Big Data', David Sepkoski, Discover, February 16, 2018.
- An Unexpected Ancient Ocean is Hiding Underground
in Maryland, Jamie Alvarenga, Only in Your State, February 15, 2018.
- Ocean Tides Could Have Driven Ancient Fish to Walk, Alexandra
Witze, Nature News, February 15, 2018.
- When It Comes to Extinction,
Body Size Matters, Santa Fe Institute News Release, February 13, 2018.
- Seafloor Data Point to Global Volcanism
After Chicxulub Meteor Strike, EurekaAlert!, AAS, February 7, 2018.
- Better Knowledge of
Evolution Leads to Greater Acceptance of the Concept, Michele W. Berger, PennNews, University of Pennsylvania, February 7, 2018.
- Rainforest Collapse 307 Million Years Ago
Impacted the Evolution of Early Land Vertebrates, Science Daily, February 7, 2018.
- Rare Dinosaur Discovery in Egypt Could
Signal More Finds, Maggie Hyde, Phys.Org, February 6, 2018.
- Dinosaurs Were 'Too Successful for Their Own Good',
Phys.Org, February 6, 2018.
in Amber May Provide Link Between Ancient Arachnids and Modern Spiders, Vanessa Romo, The Two-Way, NPR, February 5, 2018.
- The Mysterious Origin of
Nebraska's 'Devil's Corkscrew' Fossils, Kirstin Fawcett, Mental Floss, February 1, 2018. The accompanying video is great.
Spectacular Dinosaur Stomping Grounds Discovered Just Outside D.C., Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, January 31, 2018.
Scientists Discover 'The Holy Grail of Dinosaurs' in Africa, Amy B. Wang, Washington Post, January 30, 2018.
- New Egyptian Dinosaur
Reveals Ancient Link Between Africa and Europe, Phys.Org, January 29, 2018.
- The Eleventh Archaeopteryx, Phys.Org, January 26, 2018.
- Scientists Discover the Oldest Human Fossils Outside Africa, Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, January 25, 2018.
Sex Arms and Penis Bones: The Tricky Art of Fossil Sexing, Elsa Panciroli, The Guardian Science, January 24, 2018.
- Late Pleistocene Evidence that
Crocodiles Preyed on Giant Tortoises on Aldabra Atoll, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, January 24, 2018.
- When Dinosaurs Roamed Antartica, National Science
Foundation, Discovery Magazine, January 24, 2018.
- Rare 450-Million-Year-Old 'Cone-Shaped'
Fossil Discovery, Science Daily, January 23, 2018.
- More Than 500 Fossils of
New Ancient Worm Species Found in B.C., Nicole Mortillaro, CBC News, January 22, 2018.
Palace Built With Mineralized Microbes from the Jurassic, Newsroom, Australian National University, January 18, 2018.
- The Medusaceratops Mystery,
Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, January 17, 2018.
- Scientists Digitally
Preserve Important Arkansas Dinosaur Tracks, Phys.Org, January 17, 2018.
- Tiny Jurassic Dinosaur
Featured Rainbow Ruff and a Bony Crest, SciTechDaily, January 17, 2018.
Things: Fossils Reveal How Fungus Shaped Life on Earth, Susannah Lydon, The Guardian, January 16, 2018.
- CT-Scan Study Makes it Possible to
3-D Print the Skull of the Dinosaur Species Massospondylus, Phys.Org, January 12, 2018.
- Solving Darwin's 'Abominable Mystery': How
Flowering Plants Conquered the World, Science Daily, January 11, 2018.
- Megalodon Ancestor: Fossil Teeth
Link Beast to Earth's Largest Shark, Laura Geggel, LiveScience, January 8, 2018.
- Curiosity Rover Spots Weird Tube-Like
Structures on Mars, Leonard David, LiveScience, January 6, 2018.
- Study of 385-Million-Year-Old
Shark Suggests Humans and Sharks Shared Common Ancestor 440 Million Years Ago, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, January 4, 2018.
- Evidence of Previously Unknown Population of
Native Americans, Research Reveals, Science Daily, January 3, 2018.
Debris Points to Relatively Recent Asteroid Impact in Southeast Asia, Katherine Kornei, Science, January 3, 2018.
- Birds and Dinosaurs: High-Performance
Breathing in Bones, Science Daily, January 3, 2018.
Real T. rex With Chris Packham: An Attempt at a Truthful Tyrannosaurus, Dr. Dave Hone and Chris Packham, The Guardian Science, January 2,