WebSightings from 2018
A wealth of articles and news reports of interest to MGS members appears
on the web every day. As a service to our membership and others interested in paleontology and geology, links to just some
of these articles and news reports from 2018 will be gathered here. On occasion, a particularly
interesting post from a blog will be included.
These links are arranged by publication date, with the latest at the top.
WebSightings from 2017 can be accessed here.
If you find any dead links, please email . Thanks.
________________________ 2018 ______________________
Land Plants Arose Earlier Than Thought - and May Have Had a Bigger Impact on the Evolution of Animals, Elizabeth Pennisi, Science Magazine,
February 19, 2018.
- How Has Our Knowledge of Dinosaur Diversity Through Geologic Time Changed
Through Research History, Jonathan Tennet, et al., PeerJ, February 19, 2018, full text of research article.
- Paleontologists Discover
Never-Before-Seen Ancient Fish Species, Science Tech Daily, February 17, 2018.
- A Mineral
Blueprint for Finding Burgess Shale-Type Fossils, Jim Shelton, Yale News, February 16, 2018.
- What a Fossil Revolution Reveals
About the History of 'Big Data', David Sepkoski, Discover, February 16, 2018.
- An Unexpected Ancient Ocean is Hiding Underground
in Maryland, Jamie Alvarenga, Only in Your State, February 15, 2018.
- Ocean Tides Could Have Driven Ancient Fish to Walk, Alexandra
Witze, Nature News, February 15, 2018.
- When It Comes to Extinction,
Body Size Matters, Santa Fe Institute News Release, February 13, 2018.
- Seafloor Data Point to Global Volcanism
After Chicxulub Meteor Strike, EurekaAlert!, AAS, February 7, 2018.
- Better Knowledge of
Evolution Leads to Greater Acceptance of the Concept, Michele W. Berger, PennNews, University of Pennsylvania, February 7, 2018.
- Rainforest Collapse 307 Million Years Ago
Impacted the Evolution of Early Land Vertebrates, Science Daily, February 7, 2018.
- Rare Dinosaur Discovery in Egypt Could
Signal More Finds, Maggie Hyde, Phys.Org, February 6, 2018.
- Dinosaurs Were 'Too Successful for Their Own Good',
Phys.Org, February 6, 2018.
in Amber May Provide Link Between Ancient Arachnids and Modern Spiders, Vanessa Romo, The Two-Way, NPR, February 5, 2018.
- The Mysterious Origin of
Nebraska's 'Devil's Corkscrew' Fossils, Kirstin Fawcett, Mental Floss, February 1, 2018. The accompanying video is great.
Spectacular Dinosaur Stomping Grounds Discovered Just Outside D.C., Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, January 31, 2018.
Scientists Discover 'The Holy Grail of Dinosaurs' in Africa, Amy B. Wang, Washington Post, January 30, 2018.
- New Egyptian Dinosaur
Reveals Ancient Link Between Africa and Europe, Phys.Org, January 29, 2018.
- The Eleventh Archaeopteryx, Phys.Org, January 26, 2018.
- Scientists Discover the Oldest Human Fossils Outside Africa, Sarah Kaplan, Washington Post, January 25, 2018.
Sex Arms and Penis Bones: The Tricky Art of Fossil Sexing, Elsa Panciroli, The Guardian Science, January 24, 2018.
- Late Pleistocene Evidence that
Crocodiles Preyed on Giant Tortoises on Aldabra Atoll, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, January 24, 2018.
- When Dinosaurs Roamed Antartica, National Science
Foundation, Discovery Magazine, January 24, 2018.
- Rare 450-Million-Year-Old 'Cone-Shaped'
Fossil Discovery, Science Daily, January 23, 2018.
- More Than 500 Fossils of
New Ancient Worm Species Found in B.C., Nicole Mortillaro, CBC News, January 22, 2018.
Palace Built With Mineralized Microbes from the Jurassic, Newsroom, Australian National University, January 18, 2018.
- The Medusaceratops Mystery,
Brian Switek, Laelaps blog, Scientific American, January 17, 2018.
- Scientists Digitally
Preserve Important Arkansas Dinosaur Tracks, Phys.Org, January 17, 2018.
- Tiny Jurassic Dinosaur
Featured Rainbow Ruff and a Bony Crest, SciTechDaily, January 17, 2018.
Things: Fossils Reveal How Fungus Shaped Life on Earth, Susannah Lydon, The Guardian, January 16, 2018.
- CT-Scan Study Makes it Possible to
3-D Print the Skull of the Dinosaur Species Massospondylus, Phys.Org, January 12, 2018.
- Solving Darwin's 'Abominable Mystery': How
Flowering Plants Conquered the World, Science Daily, January 11, 2018.
- Megalodon Ancestor: Fossil Teeth
Link Beast to Earth's Largest Shark, Laura Geggel, LiveScience, January 8, 2018.
- Curiosity Rover Spots Weird Tube-Like
Structures on Mars, Leonard David, LiveScience, January 6, 2018.
- Study of 385-Million-Year-Old
Shark Suggests Humans and Sharks Shared Common Ancestor 440 Million Years Ago, Bob Yirka, Phys.Org, January 4, 2018.
- Evidence of Previously Unknown Population of
Native Americans, Research Reveals, Science Daily, January 3, 2018.
Debris Points to Relatively Recent Asteroid Impact in Southeast Asia, Katherine Kornei, Science, January 3, 2018.
- Birds and Dinosaurs: High-Performance
Breathing in Bones, Science Daily, January 3, 2018.
Real T. rex With Chris Packham: An Attempt at a Truthful Tyrannosaurus, Dr. Dave Hone and Chris Packham, The Guardian Science, January 2,